This is also a good time for orthodontic treatment because most children are influenced by their peers, and braces are extremely popular for this age range. Besides the benefits of fitting in with their friends, children at this age are growing rapidly, and Dr. Schulhof can usually take advantage of these growth spurts to help shape the bite and teeth correctly. Children at this age have high metabolisms, which can help shorten overall treatment time and reduce the discomfort of orthodontic treatment.
Here are a few signs of when you should take your child to the orthodontist:
- Loss of baby teeth is premature or delayed
- Trouble biting or chewing thoroughly
- Sucking fingers or thumbs
- Blocked-out, misplaced or crowded teeth.
- Biting the roof of the mouth or the cheeks
- Improper bite
- Disproportionately sized jaws or teeth